Skip to main content

Embedding Scrollback on your personal website

If you are not already aware of what Scrollback is, here is a small introduction to Scrollback.
"Scrollback is a beautiful, open source text chat service designed for communities. Scrollback chat rooms can be embedded in websites and linked with Twitter hashtags or IRC channels." [You can visit the Scrollback site for a better understanding].

Many community websites and personal websites have adopted Scrollback and embedded it into their sites. A great example for this is the Mozilla India website.

Here are a few simple steps following which you can easily embed Scrollback in your personal website.

Step 1: On the Scrollback website, create your own chat room. This chat-room will be the one which will get embedded into your site.

The modal window where you can name your room as per your needs
Step 2: Once the room is created, you will automatically be re-directed to your room's page. On your room’s page, the left column will have all information about your room along with an option to 'embed script'.

Click on embed script icon to get the modal window for copying the JavaScript

Step 3: Copy the entire script that appears in the small grey window.

The modal window containing the script which you need to add to your website
 Step 4: On your personal website's code, you will simply need to paste the script before the closing '</head>' tag.

I tried doing something very similar this afternoon on my personal website (priynag.in)

A simple example of how to add the code patch can be found here.

If you have a wordpress site, you might need to follow a bit different process to get Scrollback on your website. You might find some help here for that.

If you still have some problem or want to talk to the Scrollback them, you might find them here.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Quarantining Alone - A Once in a Lifetime Opportunity

This Covid-19 virus has turned the entire world upside down. It has broken a lot of older habits and set a lot of new normals. Towards the early days of this lockdown, I had written a blog - An Extrovert in Isolation . The early lockdown days were extremely difficult for me. That was the phase of breaking old habits. An extrovert by nature, couldn't accept the sudden change of being locked alone inside my house. I am writing this blog again after being locked at home for more than 100 days now. Most of the older habits are broken by now. A few new habits have become a part of my new normal. What seemed to have been painful 100 days back has now turned to be blissful. Here, I am sharing my story of how quarantining alone has ended up being the greatest opportunity and a huge transformation in my life.  I have been struggling for years to fix my sleep patterns. Going to bed late and waking up late had been a habit for a really long time. My struggles to change this habit had

RASCI model - the responsibility assignment matrix

In the last few days, both at my workplace as well as while dealing with a few activities around me, I have realized the importance of implementing a better responsibility assignment matrix, to get things done in a less messed up way. A few months back, during some random conversation, a friend of mine had introduced me to the RASCI model, one of the responsibility assignment matrices. Wikipedia says that the responsibility assignment matrix 'describes the participation by various roles in completing tasks or deliverables for a project or business process.'  In simple words, for any project, if we can divide each person's role and responsibility, it not only ensures a better end product, but also saves the time, otherwise lost in discussions (which organizations like to call as meetings). A RASCI implementation ensures that each person is responsible for only and only the task assigned to him (or her) and will not need to interfere with another person's task, un

The stranger in Pain

I have just returned from Malaysia today. After a 3 months stay in Singapore, I could finally make it to Malaysia, Kuala Lampur. Just a small 3 days trip with my friends. On the second day of our trip, we had decided to visit the Genting Highlands. Early morning we started off for the adventurous trip, only three of us- Sree Lakshmi(my room mate in Singapore), Nishita(my co-scholar from SCMS-UG) and me. We boarded our bus to Genting. Sree and Nishi sat together and I sat alone, taking a window seat. After a while, an elderly uncle, Indian looking, of about the age of 60+, occupied the vacant seat next to mine.  He initiated the conversation by asking me which country I am from. After I answered that I was from India, he said he was from Sri Lanka. My thinking of him being an Indian was proven wrong. He was a very friendly man. After the initial ice breaking, we started speaking about ourselves and our lives. He told that he had finished conquering the entire globe with just some 4 co